Bite Correction with Invisalign
Is correcting a misaligned bite really that important? While you may be interested in correcting an overbite, underbite, or crossbite for aesthetic reasons, the reality is that a misaligned bite may be causing you less noticeable, but still significant, problems. Dr. Maher uses Invisalign technology to straighten teeth.
The Problem of Bite Misalignment
Some of the problems you could be experiencing if your bite doesn’t line up correctly include:
- Difficulty chewing
- Problems maintaining good oral hygiene, which in turn could lead to an increase in cavities, decay, and gum disease
- Jaw discomfort or tenderness
- Excess strain on some of your teeth, which can lead to excess wear, erosion, and even fractures
Over time, even small discomforts and annoyances can develop into significant dental health concerns that could eventually lead to problems with your overall physical health. Feeling self-conscious about the way you look is a serious concern as well and could lead to decreased quality of life and even depression.
A misaligned bite is often caused by genetics, but other issues can also lead to improper bite, some of which may have started in early childhood. For example, prolonged thumb sucking or drinking from a bottle may cause a bite to develop improperly. Other causes include trauma to the mouth or jaw, poorly fitting dental restorations, tooth loss that wasn’t promptly treated, and even tumors in the mouth or jaw.
Treating a Misaligned Bite
Our office recommends the Invisalign system for our teen and adult patients who are having trouble with a misaligned bite. Invisalign is an option intended to replace traditional metal bracket braces and allows us to correct your bite and straighten your teeth comfortably and practically invisibly.
Invisalign has a number of significant advantages over traditional braces. They are clearly a much more cosmetically pleasing choice and are very appealing for that reason, especially to those who are concerned about the effect that braces might have on their professional image. Other advantages of Invisalign include:
- Invisalign is completely wire-free, which means no wires to break or tighten.
- You can remove your Invisalign aligners while eating, so your food choices are not limited.
- You remove the aligners to clean them and therefore don’t have to deal with the hassle of trying to brush and floss around brackets.
- In most cases, Dr. Maher will only need to check your process about every four to six weeks, which means less time spent in the dentist chair.
Is Invisalign a Good Choice for You?
Most people who require bite correction are good candidates for Invisalign. The best way to find out if Invisalign is an option for you is to call Dr. Maher and schedule a consultation. Dr. Maher will review your oral and physical health history, discuss your needs and preferences with you, and perform an examination to determine how Invisalign can help you.
If you and Dr. Maher decide that Invisalign is the right option to treat your bite misalignment, you should be willing to commit to a good oral hygiene routine to keep your teeth and gums healthy while these changes are taking place and to clean your aligners as directed. Improper cleaning or care can damage the aligners and prevent them from working the way they are designed.
Call our Walnut Creek dental office today to schedule your consultation with Dr. Maher.